July 4 is the official day on which the anniversary of the independence of the United States is celebrated.
The date commemorates the day when the 13 colonies that had settled on the east coast of the United States declared their independence from the British Empire in 1776.
The Independence Day of USA 2018 is one of the four major holidays of the country along with Christmas Eve and Veterans Day (Nov. 11). Americans celebrate it with outdoor activities and meetings with family and friends.
These are the most popular ways to celebrate the Fourth of July:
Barbecues, picnics, and cookouts
- There is no better way to take advantage of a July holiday than having a barbecue with the family or organizing a picnic with friends in the park or garden.
- The 4th of July is a traditional date for the meeting and preparing special meals to enjoy with your family.
Fireworks and bonfires
- The pyrotechnic shows usually bring the end to this festivity in the
- Main cities of the country. The shows of New York, Chicago, Las Vegas, San Diego and San Francisco are especially famous.
- Campfires are also built and burned throughout the country. The higher, the better!
- Patriotic parades ( parades ) accompanied by bands that play the country’s anthems, all decorated with the traditional blue, red and soft colors of the American flag march through the main cities and towns.
- The streets are filled with live music and spectators who watch the festivities pass by.
Public readings of the Declaration of Independence
Another of the traditions of July 4 is to organize public readings of the “Declaration of Independence”, the document that laid the foundations of the new nation but also of modern democracies around the world. Learn about the nation on http://independenceusa.net/.
It is a text of great symbolic value for the foundation of the United States that people read with solemnity as it was done for the first time in the city of Philadelphia in 1776:
We, the representatives of the United States of America, gathered in the General Congress, we went to the supreme judge of the world to make him a witness of the rectitude of our intentions. In the name and with the full power of the good people of these colonies we solemnly make known and declare that these united colonies are and by right have to be free and independent states; that they are exempt from all duties of subjects to the British Crown and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain is completely broken, and that, as free and independent States, they have full power to wage war, to arrange the peace, knotting business relationships and all other acts and things that independent states can do by right. And to strengthen this statement.